We discuss WeWork vs. Regus, Cloudera, and tumblr. Plus, some clarifications on trans-dimensional bomb defusing.
- You talk about the Pacific Northwest, but have you thought about Florida?
- I could be like the 35 year old Andy Rooney.
- Hey Google, where are my keys?
- We’re driving off hosts at this point
- Funny logs.
- Was it real money?
- It’s probably cheaper than severance.
- I am not following any of it.
- Where’s Tim Wu when you need him?
- This is Tumblr all over again.
- Nothing but insects please.
- Oh Andy Rooney, save me!
Relevant to your interests
- Apple Card Review: The Credit Card of the Future Is No Card At All - Banking.
- Matt Asay goes to AWS
- Verizon to Sell Tumblr to WordPress.com Owner
- Automattic’s bargain-bin Tumblr deal plugs right into the WordPress business model
- Verizon agrees to sell Tumblr to owner of Wordpress
- Activist investor Carl Icahn shakes up Cloudera
- Kubernetes open sourced their security audit. What can we learn?
- GitHub Actions now supports CI/CD, free for public repositories
- Broadcom acquires Symantec’s enterprise security business for $10.7B
- Broadcom's Strategy for its Symantec Deal Has a Lot in Common with its CA Deal
- Uber’s no-good, terrible-rotten bad Q2 loses more than $5 billion
- Cloud Computing without Containers
- Spiceworks acquired.
- Amazon announces general availability of AWS Lake Formation
- Standardizing WASI: A system interface to run WebAssembly outside the web
- Developers schetsen gitzwart beeld van Booking.com
- Introducing Certificate Transparency Monitoring
- The XY Problem - or (x)Y?
- Snap announces Spectacles 3 with an updated design and a second HD camera
- A cofounder of NPM, a startup that 11 million developers rely on, has resigned in the wake of a period of employee unrest
- He tried to prank the DMV. Then his vanity license plate backfired big time.
- Clever Vanity License Plate Backfires On Man, Winds Up With Tons Of Tickets
- I Tried Hiding From Silicon Valley in a Pile of Privacy Gadgets
- Microsoft culls Office 2019 from its Home Use Program
- War and Peace (Book)
SolarWinds Loggly Contest:
SDT listeners can enter the contest by submitting a photo and short description of the funniest log entries you’ve found (or created) for a chance to win. Loggly will choose three winners and rank them, while sharing funny log photos along the way at twitter.com/loggly.
The first-place winner will get a Lenovo® Chromebook® 2-in-1 Convertible Laptop.
Conferences, et. al.
- August 30th - Agile Scotland, Glasgow - Coté giving 90 minute workshop. Use the code AS-SPEAKER-MICHAEL for a discount: from £70 to £56.13.
- Sep 26th to 27th - DevOpsDays London - Coté at the Pivotal table, come get free shit.
- Oct 7th to 10th - SpringOne Platform, Oct 7th to 10th, Austin Texas - get $200 off registration before August 20th, and $200 more if you use the code S1P200_Coté (make sure to use the accented e). Come to the EMEA party if you’re in EMEA.
- Oct 9th to 10th - Cloud Expo Asia Singapore, Oct 9th and 10th
- Oct 10th to 11th - DevOpsDays Sydney 2019, October 10th and 11th
- December - 2019, a city near you: The 2019 SpringOne Tours are posted: Toronto Dec 2nd and 3rd, São Paulo Dec 11th and 12th.
- December 12-13 2019 - Kubernetes Summit Sydney
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to email@example.com and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Brandon: Azlo and TransferWise.
- Matt: Eluvium An Accidental Memory In the Case of Death
- Coté: Thunderspace app.
Outro: “Andy Rooney MONTAGE.”