“WE” need a forensic accountant for the show.
SignalFX gets bought for a billion, Microsoft buys jClarity and VMWare is buying Pivotal…again? We discuss all this and “WE” try to make sense of all this fancy “trademark accounting.”
Relevant to your interests
- Splunk to Acquire Cloud Monitoring Leader SignalFx
- VMware says it’s looking to acquire Pivotal
- Microsoft Screws Customers and its Own Advocates Alike - Last Week in AWS
- Microsoft takes big gulp of Java with jClarity acquisition, further boosting Azure’s open-source cred
- Report: Not all open-source software is created equal
- CNCF Archives the rkt Project - Cloud Native Computing Foundation
- IDC Survey Finds Artificial Intelligence to be a Priority for Organizations But Few Have Implemented an Enterprise-Wide Strategy
- Backdoor code found in 11 Ruby libraries | ZDNet
- Exclusive: Automattic CEO Matt Mullenweg on what’s next for Tumblr
- PodPass: Proposal for an Open Protocol to Enable Direct Listener Relationships
- Podcasts get that VC cash
- WeWork isn’t a tech company; it’s a soap opera
- Forget monoliths vs. microservices. Cognitive load is what matters
- Everything You Need to Know About the Apple Card I Did Not Need
- Sunsetting Mercurial support in Bitbucket - Bitbucket
- Intel, Google, Microsoft, and others launch Confidential Computing Consortium for data security
- Introducing Cloud Run Button: Click-to-deploy your git repos to Google Cloud | Google Cloud Blog
- Gene Kim on the Nokia book
- Remote Shell and File Editing with Emacs' TRAMP Mode
- Harvard Just Discovered that PowerPoint is Worse Than Useless
- Air New Zealand is Crazy About Rugby
This episode is sponsored by SolarWinds® and one of their application performance monitoring tools, Papertrail. To learn more or to try SolarWinds Papertrail for free, go to http://papertrailapp.com/sdt.
Conferences, et. al.
- August 30th - Agile Scotland, Glasgow - Coté giving 90 minute workshop. Use the code AS-SPEAKER-MICHAEL for a discount: from £70 to £56.13.
- Sep 26th to 27th - DevOpsDays London - Coté at the Pivotal table, come get free shit.
- Oct 7th to 10th - SpringOne Platform, Oct 7th to 10th, Austin Texas - get $200 off registration before August 20th, and $200 more if you use the code S1P200_Coté (make sure to use the accented e). Come to the EMEA party if you’re in EMEA.
- Oct 9th to 10th - Cloud Expo Asia Singapore, Oct 9th and 10th
- Oct 10th to 11th - DevOpsDays Sydney 2019, October 10th and 11th
- December - 2019, a city near you: The 2019 SpringOne Tours are posted: Toronto Dec 2nd and 3rd, São Paulo Dec 11th and 12th.
- December 12-13 2019 - Kubernetes Summit Sydney
- Daniel Dunbar is hiring Senior Distributed Systems Engineers for a project at Apple in Cupertino
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.