You can now pay open source developers directly, well, those in the closed beta. Seems like a good idea, really. Also, the Commonwealth and Friends club doesn’t like Huawei, and thought lords can be bores.
Hey! Want to get Coté’s book, a collection of writing on DevOps, agile, and THE DIGITAL? Go to leanpub.com/digitalwtf and use the code SDT to get $20 off Digital WTF, so $5 total. And, if you want a free copy, contact Coté and tell him you’ll help market it (advertise it, put it in Twitter, by post to your uncle, whatever!) and he’ll send you a code for a free copy.
- What kind of hippy were you, Coté?
- Any whistles?
- Low-tech rave.
- 3 slides in Guam.
- New hire announcements need to be auto-deleted.
- Not for you.
- I can assure you conference organizers… I am not polished.
- YAML for good.
- No YAML for payment.
- It’s going to be more than $10,000 for LDAP.
- Can’t tell if I like American Gods, but I keep reading/watching it.
- German crossbow guys, aka, crossbow bolt cult in Germany.
- A crossbow only does d4 of damage.
- Every time I log into Skype there's an upgrade.
- British people totally into yelling at their kids.
Relevant to your interests
- Announcing GitHub Sponsors: a new way to contribute to open source
- Never mind total committers/LoC, now you can boast on cash-money given.
- ARM cuts ties with Huawei, threatening future chip designs
- How to thought lead — Twitter Thread
- Why no Docker
- Splunk adds 400 enterprise customers in Q1, ups outlook
- What’s the deal with Splunk (and, sort of, ServiceNow)?
- Are they just the new normal that everyone buys, the new “legacy” and/or “lock-in as too expensive?”
- Also, like, maybe they work really well…?
- Containers, microservices, and service meshes
- “~jpetazzo/index” - the World Wide Web!
- Jesus - why the fuck isn’t this just built into how networking works? Was SDN too expensive, or something?
- “it made more sense to build a new proxy than to extend an existing one” - ladies and gentlemen: the story of open source.
- So. Basically, with a local proxy and distributed hashmap you can cloud?
- Am I reading this right? We should add another layer on-top of all of this in some kind of framework hand-slapping game? “One approach that has a lot of potential is to use a tool like SuperGloo. SuperGloo offers an abstraction layer to simplify and unify the APIs exposed by service meshes.”
- Elsewhere: “The service mesh is a dedicated infrastructure layer for handling service-to-service communication in order to make it visible, manageable, and controlled.”
- Paging Dr. Alexa: Hospitals call on voice assistants, envisioning ‘massive’ impact on healthcare
- The usual AI/ML speech stuff.
- Also, getting Alexia to turn the TV on for you: “By the way, I don’t think nurses also like to come and turn on the TV for you,” Gholami said. “They want to care for you. They want the emotional connection part.”
- Coté: I was using the IVR for a rental car company recently. I mean, it was an IVR, really annoying.
- Voice is bullshit.
- Why so much “science” used in design is bullshit: Android, Losada and Frankfurt.
- Enterprise DevOps Company CloudBees Raises $10 Million
- Pivotal adds support for open Java in latest release
- Facebook plans to launch crypto-currency
- Palo Alto Networks to acquire container security startup Twistlock for $410M
- The World Health Organization officially recognizes ‘burnout’
- Tech giant brings software to a gun fight
- LaCroix faces a crippling 'free fall' as it turns 'from bad, to worse, to disastrous,' analyst says.
This episode is sponsored by SolarWinds® and one of their DevOps tools, Papertrail™. To learn more or to try SolarWinds Papertrail free for 14 days, go to papertrailapp.com/sdt and make troubleshooting fun again.
Conferences, et. al.
- ALERT! DevOpsDays Discount - DevOpsDays MSP, August 6th to 7th, $50 off with the code SDT2019.
- 2019, a city near you: The 2019 SpringOne Tours are posted. Coté will be speaking at many of these, hopefully all the ones in EMEA. They’re free and all about programming and DevOps things. Coming up in: San Francisco (June 4th & 5th), Atlanta (June 13th & 14th)…and back to a lot of US cities.
- ChefConf London 2019 June 19-20
- Monktoberfest, Oct 3rd and 4th - CFP now open.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Matt: After Life & Dead to Me.
- Brandon: Dead to Me on Netflix.
- Coté: The Fine Art of Small Talk, excerpts in Coté’s Twitter.
- Listener recommendation from Jordi: Humble Book Bundle: Hacking 2.0