- Get $50 off DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 20th and 21st, with the code SDT2016. I'll be getting some for Chicago and Seattle sometime too.
- Interested in speeding your software's cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- See cote.io/promos for a full list of all the deals "mid-roll" stuff currently going on.
- If you like video, see this episodes' video recording.
"Residential Diaper Rash"
- Shit's wet in Texas
- The right kind of rain
- Internet History podcast - Microsoft gets the internet and Microsoft at the Dawn of the Internet Era.
Making money in open source
- Something about a16z and O'Grady's open source piece.
- ARM licensing.
- Battery Ventures conference - Mårten Mickos says RDS has probably made more money off MySQL than Oracle has.
- Chef's got something new soon Just wait 260 more hours
- SpringOne Platform, August 1st to 4th - speaker line-up announced, including Coté and some stars from LordsOfComputing.com (Matt and Brian).
- Discounts to DevOpsDays: Get $50 off DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 20th and 21st, with the code SDT2016.
- More shit at https://cote.io/promos/.
- See cote.io/promos for a full list of all the deals and "mid-roll" stuff currently going on.
Notes from Corporate Strategy Land
- Qlik goes private - Thoma Bravo pays $3bn. Good summary of historic BI acquisitions from 451.
- Wither JasperSoft?: "On April 28, 2014, TIBCO announced it had acquired Jaspersoft for approximately $185 million."
- Court ruling on Dell going private - Coté has nothing to say about that. However, the story of going private in the first part of the 115 page court ruling is gripping stuff if you're into corporate strategy - it's a rare chance to see what happens in all these M&A deals.
Mary Meeker's 2016 Internet Trends Report
- Video of the presentation
- Quartz highlights
- Software is getting faster at eating the (ecommerce) world: "The time it takes retailers to get to $100 million in online sales is shrinking. It took Nike 14 years from the time its retail site launched, compared to nine years for Lululemon, and eight year for Under Armour."
- 213 slides of charts (PDF).
- Ezra Klein on productivity loss
- Oracle loses their case against Google - APIs aren't copyrightable- Counter-view: "cartoon vision of the world" and "banana republics."
- AWS launches Flourish - Framework for serverless computing - Open up the ability to add new language runtimes
- Salesforce moving into AWS? - $400 million over 4 years - But what about Oracle?
- CoreOS launches Torus - GIFEE strikes again!
- Matt: Weird history of fake bands in the 60s. #tronc.
- Coté: (1.) Weatherproof button-up shirts from CostCo. (2.) The old guy hair of Bloodline. (3.) Coach Taylor seem like a real nice guy. (4.) Provisional recommendation: Gerber Bear Grylls Parang Machete.
- Brandon: Tortuga Air - no more fear of gate-checking.