- See cote.io/promos for a full list of all the deals "mid-roll" stuff currently going on.
- Get $50 off DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 20th and 21st, with the code SDT2016. I’ll be getting some for Chicago and Seattle sometime too.
- August 1st to 4th, SpringOne Platform – I’ll be talking on DevOps and generally hanging out with the cloud native folks. You can get $300 off registration when you use the code pivotal-cote-300.
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- It’s coming, June 19th. What should fathers be asking for?
- Time alone a la Nathaniel Fisher.
- The Buff, neck-ware thing: be like Kevin Rayburn.
- Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker with Tote Bag
- Tortuga one-bag backpack
- Platform Infrastructure at Twitter: The Past, Present and - Future - Chris Pinkham, VP of Engineering, Twitter
- Forgot to talk about this, but here are my notes from the MesosCon presentation by Twitter
- Former Nimbula founder (Oracle acquisition), early AWS founder.
- Twitter's kinda big deal, maybe you've heard of them. Over 1000 services manage Twitter, over 1,000,000 cores.
- Heron is a newly open-sourced replacement for Storm. Supporting all of our own code isn't sustainable, need an open source community.
- The Ellen Degeneres photo tweet from the 2015 Academy Awards knocked a couple of services over. 25% traffic spike, hit 255k/tweets per second. 2016 Academy Awards had 2x the traffic, no failures.
- 30,000 node Mesos cluster (probably largest). "We don't like being the biggest of anything, we find the edge cases." 130,000,000 containers launched daily.
- Some of their acquisitions were in public cloud, they don't move them in-house. They're actually pushing new services out to AWS where they can. Vine, TellApart, Crashlytics, MoPub, BlueFin, etc. Ad-serving is mostly in AWS. Users: Time Warner, Twitter (30,000 host deployment), Apple Siri.
What exactly is scheduling?
- BMC CONTROL-M
- Coté gets Matt to "checks out" his crudes understanding. (Spoiler: Checks out.)
Serverless, what’s the deal?
- SpringOne Platform – get $300 off your registration with the code pivotal-cote-300!
- Discounts to DevOpsDays: Get $50 off DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 20th and 21st, with the code SDT2016.
- Cloud Native Roadshows - all year long, in many cities globally. Check 'em out and come learn about Pivotal and Cloud Foundry for free, including some lunch.
- As always, see Crazy Coté’s Discount Codes and Special Promotions
- Big News From Chef
- Matt’s presenting at the Austin Cloud User Group
- Chef’s got a sales event on the 16th in Austin
- Leave us some comments and reviews in iTunes, or just tell your friends to listen. Also, talking to us in Twitter is better than all these things! (We just want to be loved.)
Not covered in show:
Somebody’s using Kubernetes
- Hear the tale!
- Concur & Barkly Protects
- Both shops did customizations to the codebase (AWS AZ & ELB support, Prometheus)
AWS & Australia News
Coté’s revamped Pivotal Conversations Podcast
Typosquatting Package Managers
- Seriously messed up.
- “In the thesis itself, several powerful methods to defend against typo squatting attacks are discussed. Therefore they are not included in this blog post.”
A Docker on every HPE Server
- Running on HPE
- Reference Architectures!
- HPE 3PAR and SiteScope plugins!
- Maybe Brandon can regale us with some history: tales of The Mercury Wars!
- Also, some ALM stuff. Sadly, I don’t have access to the IDC reports on this, however, they’re expecting big things: “IDC's analysis of this market resulted in worldwide agile application life-cycle management software 2014 revenue of $450.3 million, up 30.5% from the 2013 revenue of $345 million. IDC expects very strong growth for agile ALM software for the 2014–2019 time frame, with growth to $1.8 billion by 2019 and a high CAGR of 32%”
- erry-one doin’ it! What’s up with Chef’s ALM/CD stuff? Pivotal circle of code vision, with ConcourseCI.
- Brandon: (1.) Listener Feedback: Amazon does let you have addenda, from Josh Hoover](https://twitter.com/joshuahoover/status/728921712486572032 ); (2.) App Store Announcements overview; (3.) Ben Thompson on how to make it in the media in 2016
- Matt: Diaspora
- Coté: Follow-up: that machette works, but watch out for poison ivy. Also, try out @Wu_Tang_Finance to really freak 'em.