This week, we discuss DevOpsDays Austin, Pivotal's funding round, and some follow-up for the OpenStack Summit: turns our Gartner doesn't hate them. Also, with the new ping-model out, we discuss the potential for peak ping pong.
- Get 30% off OSCON, in Austin on May 18th and 19th, when you register with the code REFERCOTE.
- Get $50 off DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 20th and 21st, with the code SDT2016. I'll be getting some for Chicago and Seattle sometime too.
- Get 20% off registration for the Cloud Foundry Summit, May 23rd to 25th, with the code CF16COTE.
- Interested in speeding your software's cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- If you like video, see this episodes' video recording. Agile & Beyond Conference - Jeffrey Liker keynote.
DevOpsDays Austin earlier this week.
Pivotal gets a series C
- Press release
- $253 million with new investors Ford and Microsoft. Existing: GE, EMC, and VMware.
- Momentum by penetration: "30% of the Fortune 100 currently work with Pivotal… The company now works with seven of the top 10 U.S. banks, three of the top five global auto manufacturers, and five of the top 10 telecommunication companies."
- Momentum by run-rate: "Pivotal Cloud Foundry and Pivotal Big Data Suite having crossed the $200 million and $100 million annual bookings run-rate milestones, respectively."
- Momentum by logos: "GE, Ford, Verizon, Home Depot, Comcast, Humana, Lockheed Martin, and Allstate"
- "Person familiar" says Pivotal now has a $2.8bn valuation. From the same article, Ford's chunk is $182.2m.
Gartner actually "likes" OpenStack
- OpenStack and Gartner: The Facts - Alan Waite
- Good representation of many things: how difficult it is to be "part of the conversation" with a paywall.
- The perception of Gartner is usually skewed
- Tip: always read the primary source, be it a Gartner PDF or a talk, etc.
Ping Pong and the Tech Bubble?
- "Falling table-tennis sales give a peek into the economics of Silicon Valley, where the right to play on the job is sacrosanct"
- Seriously? No wonder people hate Silicon Valley
- Hey, look, it's the Pivotal SF offices! Love that chunky coconut water.
- DevOpsDays Seattle next week, May 12th and 13th - Coté has an ignite talk there.
- Ignite talks
- Jeff Bezos weighs in on rewrites This anecdote has really stuck with me
- Brandon: SaveFrom.net/ - save videos from the web.
- Matt: New Radiohead "Burn the Witch" DevOpsDays Austin speaker gifts.
- Coté: Lords of Computing #12 - with Brian Gregory of Express Scripts. I don't usually toot my own content horn, but this was a good episode. Also, that Elon Musk book by Ashlee Vance. It was $2 on Amazon the other day, so YOLO. Also: James Governor on an Apple Watch with an explosion behind him.