OpenStack is crawling its way into the plateau of productivity, we submit, during this week of the OpenStack Summit. We also discuss the recent Docker survey findings, and some overly precise number on private vs. public cloud adoption. Coté also manages to insult the entire Eastern seaboard, esp. Annapolis.
- Interested in speeding your software's cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- FRONTSIDE.IO – HIRE THEM! Do you need some developer talent? When you have a web project that needs the "A Team," call The Frontside. They've spent years honing their tools and techniques that give their clients cutting-edge web applications without losing a night's sleep. Learn more at http://frontside.io/cote
Go to a conference on the cheap! Discount Codes
I round up all sorts of discount codes for conferences and such, here's what I got today:
- Get 30% off OSCON, in Austin on May 18th and 19th, when you register with the code REFERCOTE.
- Get 15% off DevOpsDays Seattle, May 12th and 13th, when you register with the code SOFTWARETALK. I'll be there staffing the Pivotal table and also giving an ignite talk.
- Get 20% off registration for the Cloud Foundry Summit, May 23rd to 25th, with the code CF16COTE.
- Get $50 off DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 20th and 21st, with the code SDT2016. I'll be getting some for Chicago and Seattle sometime too.
- Coté's developer relations and marketing panel - see sample of questions.
- Big name membership momentum from @alsadowski
- Also, 451 market-size estimates: 2013: $486m; 2015: $1.2bn; 2018E: $3.37bn
Docker Survey out - #WhatDoYouMakeOfThat
- Get the PDF
- Respondents are the HN set? - 511 respondents, 59% from software companies, 56% orgs less than 100 employees, 47% devs or dev managers
- 51% in production
- "survey respondents reported on average a 13X increase in frequency of software releases."
- "Because Docker makes it simple and easy to push software out, isolate issues and roll back, over 63% of organizations report a reduction in their MTTR which impacts overall software quality and customer satisfaction."
Cloud about to get HUGE
- "CIOs report that 16.2% of workloads are currently running in the public cloud, and that in five years 41.3% of workloads will run in a public cloud. This suggests at least a 20% CAGR in public cloud workloads over the next five years. In our view, a near- tripling of the public-Cloud-based workload mix represents a monumental architectural shift, which shows no signs of abating and is likely to create a major ripple effect across the entire technology landscape." - "Amazon Seeing 'Momentous' Change of Guard as Public Cloud 'Booms,' Says JP Morgan"
How does Wall Street work, again?
- A Rolex-level of "failure"
- Back of the Envelop podcast - where Ed used to teach Coté about how money works.
- Cisco OSpod podcast
- Dan Lyons book - candy walls and HubSpot.
Feedback & Follow-up
- Full Snack Developer: Old Bay Seasoning on French Fries - that is Coté's new God.
- Mesos is fleet management. How's that one handle on the curves?
- Chapters in podcasts. I used Chapter app and it was better than the half-ass results with Fission. But, still, the marks didn't line up perfectly. Computers - amiright? (Don't get me wrong: Fission is awesome, but: really?)
- We should be in Google Play Podcasts - can someone verify this before they EOL it?
- I heard that two people have used the code CF16COTE to register for the CF Summit. I'm going to believe they're from the listeners here and not my newsletter. HOW YOU LIKE MY CPM NOW?!
- They love us in Brazil!