This week, we discuss why everyone is envious of Google’s Internal Dev Tools, examine the state of Git, speculate about how 37 Signals plans to reinvent software licensing with ONCE, and share a few thoughts on the Salesforce CEO’s recent comments about work from home.
- Lost in an acquisition hole.
- Headless Robot Dog.
- It’s not better enough.
- Why are you on the sad path
- Once version 2 is a paid upgrade
- You win interesting bingo
- The Full Circle on Developer Productivity with Steve Yegge
- Git is awful. GitHub isn't good enough. It's killing us! (Steve Yegge)
- Introducing ONCE
- Salesforce CEO takes a bold stand on remote work
- Salesforce to Hire 3,300 People After Layoffs Earlier This Year
Relevant to your Interests
- David Sacks has a new SaaS startup for other SaaS startups
- Results of Major Technical Investigations for Storm-0558 Key Acquisition
- Now it's PostgreSQL's turn to have a bogus CVE
- HashiCorp Retools Licenses And Software To Grow Its Business - The Next Platform
- Clouded Judgement 9.8.23
- Inside Hollywood's SBF Mad Scramble
- Tubi The Free Streaming Service, Hits 74 Million Monthly Active Users & Almost 250 Free Live Channels As Cord Cutting Grows | Cord Cutters News
- IBM Software mandates return to office for those within 80km
- Cloud is here to stay, but at what cost, ask customers
- Disney and Charter reach deal to end cable blackout in time for 'Monday Night Football'
- Microsoft to kill off third-party printer drivers in Windows
- Oracle revenue misses estimates as tough economy hurts cloud spending
- No privacy in cars
- Former CEO of China's Alibaba quits cloud business in surprise move during its leadership reshuffle
- A Look Back at Q2 '23 Public Cloud Software Earnings
- 1 big thing: A long-term plan to secure open-source software
- MGM takes systems offline after cyberattack
- Disney-Charter deal represents new era for TV bundles
- Salesforce introduces Einstein Copilot Studio to help customers customize their AI | TechCrunch
- Arm prices IPO at $51 per share, valuing company at over $54 billion
- Tim Gurner’s spray about ‘arrogant’ workers lays bare the economic sadism of our time
- Cisco discontinues Hyperflex hyperconverged infrastructure
- CloudBees Announces New Cloud Native DevSecOps Platform
- Jet: Prepare For Liftoff
- Artifact’s new Links feature makes it much more than a news app
- TriggerMesh, RIP
- Clorox says last month's cyberattack is still disrupting production
- Excel clone built for Uber China exposed Microsoft mistake
- Seattle startup MotherDuck raises $52.5M at a $400M valuation to fuel DuckDB analytics platform
- Google’s Bard chatbot can now find answers in your Gmail, Docs, Drive
- Elon Musk says X may go behind a paywall for everyone so he can 'combat vast armies of bots'
- Restricted Source Licensing Is Here
- RoboFab is ready to build 10,000 humanoid robots per year | TechCrunch
- Unified Acceleration Foundation Forms to Drive Open Accelerated Compute and Cross-Platform Performance
- Google gets its way, bakes a user-tracking ad platform directly into Chrome
- What is a service mesh? Why do you need a service mesh? And which is the best service mesh?
- Did I Make a Mistake Selling My Social-Media Darling to Yahoo?
- A new way of thinking about open source sustainability
- Elon Musk moving servers himself shows his 'maniacal sense of urgency' at X, formerly Twitter
- Cable TV Is on Life Support, but a New Bundle Is Coming Alive
- McDonald's is getting rid of self-serve soda machines | CNN Business
- Delta SkyMiles changes: Delta overhauls how you earn Medallion status in biggest change yet
- Australian baby named Methamphetamine Rules
- ‘Take the Money and Run’ Artist Must Repay Danish Museum
- Jan recommends this Rich Roll interview: Mindset SECRETS From The World's Best Ultrarunner: Courtney Dauwalter
- October 6, 2023, KCD Texas 2023, CFP Closes: August 30, 2023
- November 6-9, 2023, KubeCon NA, SDT’s a sponsor, Matt’s there
- November 6-9, 2023 VMware Explore Barcelona, Coté’s attending
- Jan 29, 2024 to Feb 1, 2024 That Conference Texas
- If you want your conference mentioned, let’s talk media sponsorships.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Get a SDT Sticker! Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us: Twitch, Twitter, Instagram, Mastodon, BlueSky, LinkedIn, TikTok, Threads and YouTube.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Become a sponsor of Software Defined Talk!
- Matt: Airline wifi chat with Support
- Coté: Do Interesting book by Russel Davis.