We try to make sense of the latest Google news, discuss who's spying on whom and a few hot takes on the latest M&A. Plus, Matt Ray teaches us about hippos and wombats.
Relevant to your interests
- Google Cloud CEO Thomas Kurian is taking a page from the enterprise sales handbook against Amazon and Microsoft
- Politics around Istio and Knative within Google are fascinating
- “People frequently conflate "open governance" and "neutral IP ownership." It depends greatly on the foundation, but in the case of the CNCF, there are literally zero governance requirements enforced on projects. CNCF projects can be (and are) single vendor governed.”
- Welcoming Looker to Google Cloud
- Google Cloud reveals major restructuring plans
- Google Cloud acquires mainframe migration service Cornerstone
- The CIA secretly bought a company that sold encryption devices across the world. Then its spies sat back and listened.
- The CIA’s ‘coup of the century’ Podcast
- The End of Privacy as We Know It?
- Average tenure of a CISO is just 26 months due to high stress and burnout
- DOJ charges four China-backed hackers with Equifax breach – TechCrunch
- Ring enables mandatory two-factor authentication and new privacy controls in response to scandals
- The DNSSEC Root Signing Ceremony
- Internet's safe-keepers forced to postpone crucial DNSSEC root key signing ceremony – no, not a hacker attack, but because they can't open a safe
- M&A and Going Bust
- Rancher Labs Achieves 169% Revenue Growth, Doubles
- Alibaba Cloud revenue reaches $1.5B for the quarter on 62% growth rate – TechCrunch
- The History of Git: The Road to Domination
- Judge temporarily blocks Microsoft Pentagon cloud contract after Amazon suit
- Amazon lawyers want to depose Trump
- Your .com could soon cost you more .cash
- Wi-Fi 6E isn’t here yet—but Broadcom is clearly banking on it
- New Relic: New Report: For the Love of Serverless - New Relic Blog
- GSMA cancels Mobile World Congress due to coronavirus concerns
- Red Hat kicks off long goodbye for CoreOS Container Linux • DEVCLASS
- Meet JJ Asghar - DevRel.net
- Amazon Empire: The Rise and Reign of Jeff Bezos ## Nonsense
- How Much of the Internet Is Fake?
- My travel habits
- Private equity, explained — The Weeds
- They recorded the Seinfeld theme separately for EVERY EPISODE
- Chasing Colombia's 'cocaine hippos'
Arrested DevOps Podcast:
Subscribe today by searching for “Arrested DevOps” in you favorite podcast app or by visiting https://www.arresteddevops.com/.
Conferences, et. al.
- HashiTalks Virtual Conference February 20, 2020 FREE (Matt’s presenting on Terraform + Chef tech)
- QCon London, March 2nd to 6th - Coté speaking at some point.
- Agile Scotland, March 6th: sessions, tickets.
- KubeCon EU in Amsterdam March 30 – April 2*,* use code KCEUSDP15 for 15% off.
- DevOpsDays Austin 2020 May 4th and 5th
- ChefConf 2020 in Seattle June 1-4
- DevOpsDays Minneapolis, August 4 - 5, 2020 use code SDT for 10% off registration
- THAT Conference August 3 - 6 in Wisconsin Dells, WI. Call for Counselors (Speakers) open until March 1st.
- Free digital copy of Code Your Way Up: Rise to the Challenge of Software Leadership to the first person to direct message bwhichard in the SDT Slack or on Twitter.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to email@example.com and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.