Putting together the M&A case for Docker, Microsoft Build, Google I/O, and Oracle’s cloud grudge.
- The Most Expensive Free Dog in the World.
- Dead frogs tell no tales.
- It’s just me and the dog.
- Smart enough not to go up the stairs, dumb - enough to think the eggs are coming back.
- Is Docker the new MySQL.
- Most valuable, unrealized container brand: Google.
- JEDI grudge.
- Nihilism, greatly underrated.
Relevant to your interests
- Announcing Docker Enterprise 3.0: Delivering High-Velocity Application Innovation
- A hacker is wiping Git repositories and asking for a ransom
- Department of Justice approves $34B IBM acquisition of Red Hat
- How Airbnb took over the world
- Canonical Sharpens Focus on Red Hat, VMware; IPO Plans Remain
- RHEL 8 released: It's the last pre-IBM Red Hat Linux Enterprise Linux
- 8.0 release notes - Red Hat Customer Portal
- Salesforce acquires Tel Aviv-based conversational AI startup Bonobo for a reported $50 million
- Bucking a trend of rapid growth, Microsoft actually shuts down an Azure data center
- Microsoft Build:
- Microsoft Botched Its First HoloLens Demo of Build 2019
- Microsoft Build 2019: the biggest news from the developer conference
- Microsoft Build Day 1: Windows Subsystem For Linux Gets More Linux
- Spatial - Collaborate from anywhere in Augmented Reality
- Minecraft mobile AR game teased, full reveal coming May 17
- Microsoft Edge gets IE mode tabs and better security control
- Google I/O 2019
- The 8 biggest announcements from the Google I/O 2019 keynote
- What is Uber? Forget the sharing economy – it's just a libertarian scam
- 10 Most Interesting Announcements From Microsoft Build
- Samsung spilled SmartThings app source code and secret keys
- In gambling mecca, Dell’s founder offers evidence that big bets on multicloud, AI and edge will pay off
- Marketing Daily: Study: Voice Assistants Far From Hot Marketplace For Buying
- Comic Relief switched from multi-cloud to serverless with AWS and saw a 93% cost reduction
- SAP makes its cloud data service, data management play with HANA
- Microsoft, Red Hat Partner on OpenShift
- Steve Singh stepping down as Docker CEO
- Google launches Portals, a new web page navigation system for Chrome
- Oracle Releases GraalVM Enterprise
- OpenShift 4: Red Hat's on ramp for the hybrid cloud
- After two years as Docker CEO, Steve Singh steps down, Rob Bearden steps in
- Red Hat employees permanently inked with new company logo
- Parent of Schick razors to buy shaving start-up Harry’s for $1.37 billion
- Bird has a new electric scooter: it’s durable, comes in three different colors, and you can buy it ## Sponsors
This episode is sponsored by SolarWinds® and one of their web APM tools: Loggly®. It’s scalable cloud-based log management that won’t break the bank. Learn more or try it FREE for 14 days. Just go to http://loggly.com/sdt.
Conferences, et. al.
- ALERT! DevOpsDays Discount - DevOpsDays MSP, August 6th to 7th, $50 off with the code SDT2019.
- 2019, a city near you: The 2019 SpringOne Tours are posted. Coté will be speaking at many of these, hopefully all the ones in EMEA. They’re free and all about programming and DevOps things. Coming up in: Paris (May 23rd & 24th), San Francisco (June 4th & 5th), Atlanta (June 13th & 14th)…and back to a lot of US cities.
- ChefConf 2019 May 20-23. Matt’s speaking!
- ChefConf London 2019 June 19-20
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop sticker!s
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Coté: UK Hailstorm, will it work this time? Original HailStorm, circa 2002. HailStorm revisited/renamed in the Identity 2.0 era. And now? FB and Google authentication, I guess? (Also, remember this presentation that launched a million single word per slide talks?)
- Matt: Fleabag Season 2 (BBC/Amazon); Word for the week: Acedia.
- Brandon: Episode 908: I Am Not A Robot and Overcast Clipping.