Whether you’re in the Malaysian cement industry or not, there’s something for you in this episode: serverless vs. FaaS, Docker’s funding, Crossing the Chasm revisited, and GitHub actions.
Sponsored by Datadog
This episode is sponsored by Datadog and this week Datadog wants you to know about Trace Search & Analytics.
Trace Search & Analytics allows you to explore, graph, and correlate application performance data using high-cardinality attributes. You can search and filter request traces using key business and application attributes, such as user IDs, host names, or product SKUs, so you can quickly pinpoint where performance issues are originating and who's being affected. Tight integration with data from logs and infrastructure metrics also lets you correlate these specific trace events to the performance of the underlying infrastructure so you can resolve the problem quickly.
Relevant to your interests
- Redis Labs and Common Clause attacked where it hurts: With open-source code | ZDNet
- Microsoft Calls a Truce in the Patent Wars
- Add It Up: FaaS ≠ Serverless
- The highest paid workers in Silicon Valley are not software engineers - Red Hat Flexes CoreOS Muscle In OpenShift Kubernetes Platform - Docker has raised $92 million in new funding
- GitHub launches Actions, its workflow automation tool
- There will be no escape once Twilio snaps up SendGrid in $2bn deal
- GET READY TO UPGRADE
- Cloud, enterprise software to drive 2019 IT spending, says Gartner
- Chef InSpec 3.0: Wider, Deeper on Automated Compliance
Conferences, et. al.
- Oct 22nd - Cloud Native tour in Milan, Italy. Coté and friends: a half day, a summit on Spring, DevOps, and cloud native programming. Free.
- Oct 27th - Matt on a panel at Rakuten Technology Conference 2018
- Oct 31st - Coté speaking at New Relic’s FutureStack Amsterdam.
- Nov 3rd to Nov 12th - SpringOne Tour - all over the earth! Coté will be MC’ing Beijing Nov 3rd, Seoul Nov 8th, Tokyo Nov 6th, and Singapore Nov 12th.
- Nov 14th to 16th - Devoxx Belgium, Antwerp. Coté’s presenting on enterprise architecture.
- Dec 12th and 13th - SpringTour Toronto, Coté.
- Simon form the UK tells us he is a long time listener and even bought an SDT t-shirt 🙂 So we sent him a sticker.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a sticker.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Matt: Another Jay on Earth.
- Brandon: Slow Burn Podcast.
- Coté: Albert Heijn Mint & Ginger water: “The ideal thirst quencher with lemon and ginger. Refreshing on a summer day or during a busy working day.”
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker, with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial today!