We discuss recent kubernetes news, London, and whatever the hell "serverless" is.
If you’re lucky enough to have access, check out Hammond & Rymer’s Jan 2018 report on serverless, it’s amazingly good and helpful.
This episode brought to you by: Datadog!
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Sign up for a free trial at www.datadog.com/sdt This week Datadog wants you to know about their upcoming conference DashCon, in NYC on July 11th-12th. You can register to attend at https://www.dashcon.io/
DevOpsDays MINNEAPOLIS - JULY 12-13, 2018
Get a 20% discount for one of the best DevOpsDays on the planet, DevOpsDays Minneapolis. It's July 12th to 13th, and you can bet it'll be worth your time. If you're new to DevOps you'll get an idea of what it is, how it's practices, and how to get started. If you're an old pro, you'll dive down into topics and catch-up with all the other old hands. Code: SDT2018
Relevant to your interests
- Upbound emerges from stealth, raises $9M from GV to build a multicloud platform on Kubernetes Another thing k8s doesn’t do…I guess? “The eight-person Seattle-based startup plans to build a platform that will let Kubernetes users interested in multicloud deployments build services that scale across multiple public clouds and help those companies deploy their applications across those environments.” DC/OS for all the DC/OS’es. It’s DC/OS’es all the way down. (I’m glad they linked to the wikipedia definition for “lingua franca.”)
- As Kubernetes grows, a startup ecosystem develops in its wake This about 1/3 of what a good, internal strategy memo would be. Needs market-sizing, forecasts, and, well, more numbers. If it also said what action to take, you’d have most of it there.
- Is K8s Too Complicated?
- AWS Won Serverless – now all your software are kinda belong to them You know what old Jack Burton always says in a time like this: “I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE HELL THAT MEANS!” "We can't be more than one to two years from Amazon hitting that 2 per cent of the serverless (i.e. platform) market. Which means, if you're going to counter play then NOW (not six months later) is the time to be dropping $5 to $10bn on that counter play." See also…
- Serverless is going to crush Kubernetes (but only in a theoretical world which doesn’t actually exist) - oh boy…
- CoreOS Is New Linux, Not A RHEL Classic Killer: ‘Importantly, the OpenShift platform cloud software, which included Red Hat’s own implementation of the Kubernetes container controller, will be deployable on either the full-on Red Hat Enterprise Linux in pets mode or the minimalist Red Hat CoreOS in cattle mode. But it will be using the Tectonic version of the Kubernetes controller going forward as well as integrating the Prometheus monitoring tool and etcd for storing telemetry. Gracely tells The Next Platform that the implementation of Kubernetes had outside dependencies such as the CloudForms hybrid cloud management tool (formerly ManageIQ) and was not “native” to Kubernetes in the same way that Tectonic is, meaning free of outside dependenies.’
- Developer Advocate Wars / Arms Race - outward and inner…kingmakers
- Google now says controversial AI voice calling system will identify itself to humans - that sort of defeats the whole point.
Conferences, et. al.
- May 22 to 25, ChefConf 2018, in Chicago.
- June 1st, 2018 - Coté speaking at Voxxed Days, Singapore.
- Also, Coté doing some meetups in Korea (May 29th) and Singapore (May 31st), URLs pending.
- Sep 24th to 27th - SpringOne Platform, in DC/Maryland (crabs!) get $200 off registration with the code S1P200_Cote.
- Colin from Scotland got a sticker. Says he always learns something and enjoys the banter. Tells us to “Keep up the excellent work!”
SDT news & hype
- Check out Software Defined Interviews, our new podcast. Pretty self-descriptive, plus the #exegesis podcast we’ve been doing, all in one, for free.
- Keep up with the weekly newsletter.
- Join us in Slack.
- Buy some t-shirts! DISCOUNT CODE: SDTFSG (20% off)
- Send your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a sticker. If you run into Matt he’ll give you one too!
Get a 20% discount for one of the best DevOpsDays on the planet, DevOpsDays Minneapolis. It's July 12th to 13th, and you can bet it'll be worth your time. If you're new to DevOps you'll get an idea of what it is, how it's practices, and how to get started. If you're an old pro, you'll dive down into topics and catch-up with all the other old hands.
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker, with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial today!