With a flurry of M&A over the past few weeks, we discuss some of the more popular ones: AppDynamics, Trello, and Apiary. These kind of buys are all about what the acquirer plans to do with the new “asset” and the financial health of the company being acquired. We discuss these recent acquisitions, including who the “losers” are. Also, the low-down on CostCo in Australia!
- Coté: I’m speaking at DevOpsDays Charlotte, day two keynote, I think. Use the code SDT to get 25% off!
- Coté: much self-promotion to catch up on: I’m writing more “original content” on my blog, and plan to write more; subscribe to my newsletter for a round-up of stuff I blog, sent out on Sunday night, will tweak more.
- Also, in the “grim” vein, Coté reviews some books on "automation," which John Allspaw rightly says should be called "new technology," fair enough. The 1983 paper on automation and humans is a good read too.
CostCo field report: Australia
- It’s great!
- US: No need for a hot pizza sign holder.
- US: Rayban Wayfarers are like $130 now!
AppDynamics files for IPO… Cisco says NOT SO FAST
- IPO filing...
- “Our revenues for the fiscal years ended January 31, 2014, 2015 and 2016 were $23.6 million, $81.9 million and $150.6 million, respectively”
- $3.7 billion, about a 14-17X multiplier
Atlassian Buys Trello for $425 Million
Oracle Buys Apiary
- “API Integration Cloud”
- Coté’s coverage, with plenty more links: small asset working on a $660m API management market.
BONUS LINKS! Not covered in show.
HP Buys Stuff
- Cloud Cruiser for management/chargeback, $650 million
- SimpliVity for converged systems, $650 million
You Know What DevOps Needs? An IEEE Standard
- Google buying Fabric.
- Facebook still king.
Do We Talk About Trump?
- OpenStack Summits leaving the US
- Red Hat, Microsoft, others making announcements against the Muslim ban
- Coté says: these people are proven idiots. Don’t work with them.
Trump’s Twitter Moves Markets
- Apparently he watches Fox and parrots their lines, so maybe someone at Fox is making a killing with “insider trading”?
RethinkDB: Why We Failed
- Good read for how hard it is to crack the DB and OSS markets.
- “In hindsight, two things went wrong – we picked a terrible market and optimized the product for the wrong metrics of goodness.”
- Coté follow-up: be careful with TAM picking.
Yahoo is Altaba
Google’s AI Awakening
- “How Google used artificial intelligence to transform Google Translate, one of its more popular services — and how machine learning is poised to reinvent computing itself.”
- Extensive article on Google’s AI push from back in December
ClusterHQ Shutting Down
Facebook’s 2016 Open Source Contributions
Google buys Twitter’s Fabric
Bruce Sterling/Jon Lebkowsky “State of the World”
- Brandon: RTIC 30oz Tumbler.
- Coté: big jar of green hatch! Get a 40! Also, how to feed three people with one bean.
ChefConf 2017 - ChefCon is coming up, May 22nd to 24th in Austin, Texas. Early bird pricing through March 31st.
Microsoft Ignite Australia, Feb 14th to Feb 17th, Gold Coast Convention & Exhibition Centre . Chef will have a booth & a talk.
AWS User Group Sydney - AWS OpsWorks for Chef Automate, Matt Ray giving a talk there.
Subscribe to Coté's newsletter to get all the things he thinks are important, each Sunday night.
Check out free books from O'Reilly Pivotal on microservices, cloud foundry, and putting your cloud native strategy in place.