This week, we discuss Netflix's DVD deprecation, the remote work debate, and how to fork an open-source project. Plus, thoughts on why Europe needs more ice.
- Try Harder
- It’s a necessary luxury
- Someone’s drinking too much water here
- A culture of ice
- Where are the high performers, at home or at work
- Quit using your Gmail address
- Thou shalt export to CSV
- Netflix Says You Can Keep Their DVDs (and Request More, Too)
- Zoom’s CEO thinks Zoom sucks for building trust, leaked audio reveals
- Meta is back in the office three days a week, as WFH continues to die
- Can you trust 'open source' companies?
- OpenTF created a fork of Terraform!
- OpenTF pulls the trigger on its open-source Terraform fork
Relevant to your Interests
- VMware’s future: Navigating multicloud complexity and generative AI
- VMware Tanzu portfolio reshuffled ahead of Broadcom close | TechTarget
- Nvidia's blowout offers a giddy whiff of 1995
- Announcing AWS Dedicated Local Zones
- Top Ten social media platforms we spend the most time on
- Max will launch a 24/7 CNN stream for all subscribers next month
- Meta launches own AI code-writing tool: Code Llama
- As TikTok Ban Looms, ByteDance Battles Oracle For Control Of Its Algorithm
- Slack's Migration to a Cellular Architecture - Slack Engineering
- The Cloud 100 2023
- Data isn’t everything. Judgement counts too.
- Amazon Elastic Block Store at 15 Years
- Instacart is the Best and Worst Grocery Business Imaginable
- Amazon CEO Andy Jassy tells employees it's 'past' time to commit to the company's RTO mandate and their jobs are at stake
- Duet AI, Google's AI assistant suite, expands across Google Cloud
- Halloween creeps a little closer: Seasonal supply chains accelerate
- What’s new with GKE at Google Cloud Next | Google Cloud Blog
- Duet AI in Google Cloud Preview | Google Cloud Blog
- What’s new in Oracle to PostgreSQL database migrations with DMS | Google Cloud Blog
- US AI startup Poolside raises $126m seed round and relocates to France
- Ping, ForgeRock, Thoma Bravo, the power of open source, and the madness of IAM
- Thoma Bravo Completes Acquisition of ForgeRock; Combines ForgeRock into Ping Identity
- Interoperability between Google Chat and other messaging platforms — powered by Mio
- Broadcom boss dismisses notion China could derail VMware buy
- Microsoft blames outage on small staff, automation failures
- Amazon QuickSight adds scheduled and programmatic export to Excel format
- Google unveils AI tools for enterprise customers at $30 a month
- Chip design firm Arm seeks up to $52 billion valuation in blockbuster U.S. IPO
- Birmingham City Council goes under after Oracle disaster
- IBM Introduces 'Watsonx Your Business'
- Meta May Allow Instagram, Facebook Users in Europe to Pay and Avoid Ads
- Announcing Kubecost Cloud in General Availability: The Easiest Way to Optimize Your Kubernetes Costs
- Platform Engineering - What You Need To Know Now
- The lifespans of technological adoptions in the US
- Introducing ONCE
- The fight for the right to repair McFlurry machines
- Delta Airlines Offers Woman $1,800 After Losing Her Dog
- Sep 18th to 19th SHIFT in Zadar, Coté speaking.
- October 6, 2023, KCD Texas 2023, CFP Closes: August 30, 2023
- November 6-9, 2023, KubeCon NA, SDT’s a sponsor, Matt’s there
- November 6-9, 2023 VMware Explore Barcelona, Coté’s attending
- Jan 29, 2024 to Feb 1, 2024 That Conference Texas
- If you want your conference mentioned, let’s talk media sponsorships.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Get a SDT Sticker! Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us: Twitch, Twitter, Instagram, Mastodon, BlueSky, LinkedIn, TikTok, Threads and YouTube.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Become a sponsor of Software Defined Talk!
- Brandon: JUST ONE MILE | Official Trailer
- Matt: Deadloch
- Coté: Rick Rubin interviews Rory Sutherland. I doubt much of the airport business book stuff in here is “true,” but that’s sort of the whole point, and it’s fantastic listening. His book Alchemy has a great one word review right there in the title. But, again: it’s fun! When you’ve listened to too much If Books Could Kill you can check in on Rory if you need to take the cure.