This week, we discuss Open Source licensing, Cloud Earnings and presentations without slides. Plus, Coté shares his minimal-tech vacation strategy and Matt Ray spills Orange Juice on his keyboard.
- Girl do you need some Squirrel
- Kinky Friedman would be proud
- Stallman would be spinning in his grave
- What does this guy like?
- I’ve got plenty of beer
- That’s not a feature, it’s a bug
- Never a Marketplace
- The open source licensing war is over
- Clouded Judgement 8.4.23 - Cloud Giants Q2 Update
- Amazon reports blowout profit, beats on sales and issues optimistic guidance
Relevant to your Interests
- Amazon to invest $7.2b in Israel as it rolls out local cloud data region
- Linux surpasses the Mac among Steam gamers
- As Cruise Expands To Los Angeles, Self-Driving's Breakout Moment Has Arrived
- Billionaire Larry Ellison plotted with Trump aides on call about overturning election
- Dell Confirms Sales Layoffs As Part Of New Partner-Led Storage Strategy | CRN
- For Meta, the big AI play is shoring up its ad business
- Corey Quinn on Gartner MQ
- Slack's latest redesign has a dedicated DM tab and a Discord-style Activity view
- Google is offering an on-campus hotel 'special' to help lure workers back to the office
- Even Zoom is making staff return to the office now
- Venture-backed startups are failing at record rates
- Zoom's Updated Terms of Service Permit Training AI on User Content Without Opt-Out
- Zoom CEO admits mistake as terms-of-service changes raise AI fears
- WeWork warns of bankruptcy risk after years of losses
- Python moves to remove the GIL and boost concurrency
- Exclusive: Amazon in talks to become anchor investor in Arm ahead of IPO
- Analysis | LK-99 and the Desperation for Scientific Discovery
- Disney discontinues DVD and Blu-ray production in Australia effective immediately
- Google Web Environment Integrity draft draws developer rage
- Google Meet plays Oscars music and credits roll as meeting ends
- Aug 21 - 22, Kubernetes Community Day Australia in Sydney, Matt attending.
- August 21st to 24th SpringOne & VMware Explore US, in Las Vegas.
- Explore EU CFP is open.
- Sep 6th to 7th DevOpsDays Des Moines, Coté speaking.
- Sep 18th to 19th SHIFT in Zadar, Coté speaking.
- October 2-6, 2023, QCon San Francisco, Matt’s doing a workshop
- October 6, 2023, KCD Texas 2023, CFP Closes: August 30, 2023
- November 6-9, 2023, KubeCon NA, SDT’s a sponsor, Matt’s there
- Jan 29, 2024 to Feb 1, 2024 That Conference Texas CFP Open 6/1 - 8/21
- If you want your conference mentioned, let’s talk media sponsorships.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Get a SDT Sticker! Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us: Twitch, Twitter, Instagram, Mastodon, BlueSky, LinkedIn, TikTok, Threads and YouTube.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Become a sponsor of Software Defined Talk!
- Matt: Rechargeable cordless Waterpik
- Coté: “How to Draw Fantasy Map Trees and Forests - 5 easy styles to make your maps look awesome,” and playlist of related how to videos.