Episode 400 · February 10th, 2023 · 59 mins 7 secs
About this Episode
This week we discuss Cloud Earnings, ChatGPT Prompts and the OpenTelemetry controversy. Plus, thoughts on refrigerating eggs…
Watch the YouTube Live Recording of Episode 400
- You don’t want to toy with food poisoning
- Do you put all your eggs in one basket?
- The answer to this and every question is ChatGPT
- This is just Bing
- Bullshit as a Service
- It doesn’t matter if it’s right, it’s fine
- Bad dog
- The answer to every question is ChatGPT
- Linux under the desktop
- Why Does the U.S. Refrigerate Eggs When Much of the World Doesn’t?
- Earnings and Outlook
- Cloud Giants Update
- Red Hat OpenShift making money
- Gartner: Overall IT Spend Has Slowed. But Software? That’s Still Growing.
- Cloud Earnings
- The Big Tech Rebound Is Underway
- Cloud leaders Amazon, Google and Microsoft show the once-booming market is cooling down
- The Four Horsemen of the Tech Recession
- Microsoft offers lackluster guidance, says new business growth slowed in December
- FY23 Q2 - Press Releases - Investor Relations - Microsoft
- The On-Premises Empire Strikes Back At AWS
- OpenAI has hired an army of contractors to make basic coding obsolete
- Google has developed a music-making AI bot
- Why does ChatGPT constantly lie?
- Who will compete with ChatGPT? Meet the contenders
- OpenAI API
- Infrastructure-as-Code Generator
- Code-generating platform Magic challenges GitHub's Copilot with $23M in VC backing
- Microsoft to Invest $10 Billion in OpenAI, the Creator of ChatGPT
- Google Calls In Help From Larry Page and Sergey Brin for A.I. Fight
- Claims Datadog asked developer to kill open source data tool
- Everybody Gets Fired Eventually (The Cloudcast Podcast)
- This FTX Slide has been nominated as Slide of the Year
Relevant to your Interests
- Slicing Cash Flows for Better Ratings
- Twitter Manager: Daily Revenue Has Dropped 40%, 500 Top Advertisers Have Left
- $NOW CEO Bill McDermott on 2023 IT Spend
- Amazon to Wind Down Charity-Donation Program AmazonSmile
- HPE and Oracle Solaris suit ends with hushed settlement
- Cloud growth slowing as customers get a dose of cost reality
- How We Learned to Be Lonely
- Kevin Kelly: The Case for Optimism
- Activist investor Elliott sets its sights on Salesforce
- AWS expanding site of infamously flaky US-EAST-1 region
- Amazon-Stripe partnership accelerates ecommerce and streamlines online payments
- Undo — Chartr: Data Storytelling
- VMware 2023 Predictions: Platform Engineering Improves Developer Experience, Tech Layoffs Solve Enterprise Talent Gaps
- LastPass owner GoTo says hackers stole customers' backups
- Subject: Focusing on our short- and long-term opportunity - The Official Microsoft Blog
- Slack's second chance
- Internal Developer Portal: What It Is and Why You Need One
- Microsoft Outlook and Teams down for thousands around world
- U.S. Accuses Google of Abusing Monopoly in Ad Technology
- Microsoft set to face EU antitrust probe over video calls
- Replacing a SQL analyst with 26 recursive GPT prompts | Patterns
- Defying logic, Apple announces 2nd-gen HomePod for $299
- ADS-B Exchange Sells Up, Contributors Unhappy
- Confluent : Message to Confluent Employees from Jay Kreps - Form 8-K
- FBI shuts down ransomware gang that targeted schools and hospitals
- Reduce Kubernetes spend with these 10 Kubecost alternatives | TechTarget
- The ‘Enshittification’ of TikTok
- Why Corporate America Still Runs on Ancient Software That Breaks - Odd Lots
- Why are so many tech companies laying people off right now?
- Salesforce Announces Appointment of Three New Independent Directors
- 1Password announces multiple improvements coming soon to its iOS app
- Identity management platform Saviynt secures $205M in debt, appoints new CEO
- GitHub says hackers cloned code-signing certificates in breached repository
- Introducing Hermes, An Open Source Document Management System
- Introducing Helios, HashiCorp’s New Design System
- Kubernetes is great, but it’s been a 7 year distraction
- Former Ubiquiti dev pleads guilty to trying to extort his employer
- Charted: Hardest hit in tech layoffs
- Silicon Valley needs to stop laying off workers and start firing CEOs
- Visa vs. AMEX
- Musk’s Twitter Has Just 180,000 U.S. Subscribers, Two Months After Launch
- Coté ponders IBM what-if in AI
- Appliance makers sad that 50% of customers won’t connect smart appliances
- Broadcom’s VMware battle plan is to challenge hyperscalers
- PagerDuty Layoffs Affect 7 Percent Of Workforce
- Meta Pressures Average-Rated Employees to Up Their Game
- Spotify to Shed 6% of Its Work Force in Latest Round of Tech Layoffs
- The Job Market for Remote Workers Is Shrinking
- Big Tech Is Really Bad at Firing People
- Zoom layoffs impact 15% of staff
- The Newer Geography of Jobs
- Missing radioactive capsule found in Australia
- Boeing delivers its final 747 jet today, ending a run of more than 50 years
- King Charles will not appear on new Australia $5 note
- Donkey Kong cheating case rocked by photos of illicit joystick modification
- The New Stack — Subscribe to The New Stack Makers Podcast.
- Southern California Linux Expo, Los Angeles, March 9-12, 2023 Matt & Cote!
- Use Discount Code: DEVOP
- And, get 50% with the code SPEAK.
- Coté and Matt arranging a live recording.
- PyTexas 2023, Austin, TX April 1 - 2, 2023
- DevOpsDays Birmingham, AL 2023, April 20 - 21, 2023
- DevOpsDays Austin 2023, May 4-5
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Get a SDT Sticker! Send your postal address to email@example.com and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitch, Twitter, Instagram, Mastodon, LinkedIn and YouTube.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.
- Become a sponsor of Software Defined Talk!
- Brandon: Hand Mirror
- Matt: StarFive VisionFiveV2 RISC V has arrived!