It’s be a shame if something were to happen to that nice API implementation of yours
This week, Matt and Coté talk about possible implications of the Google vs. Oracle fight over API stuff. YOU’LL NEVER GUESS WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN.
- A clean approach to streaming
- Then we can synchronize it with a GitHub
- Chyron: Could have big repercussions
- Light on details, like us
- Your New Zealand bug out sheep farm
- You’re not helping. Getting out of your head.
- When it comes to law stuff, it’s hard for us to be experts
- Back to back victories.
- You should buy it, yarr!
- There’ll be a lot of shakedowns
- The Era of API Troll Companies
- Those guys, those guys are getting their own company!
- Oracle vs. Google (not the DoD one) - scenarios and implications! If Oracle wins: more charging for using “ideas”/APIs (even data formats?!) in code? If Google wins: less legal control over people using your code (e.g., lessons GPL, etc, powers)?
- Google will give up direct control of the Knative open-source project.
- Breaking Up Big Blue
- IBM to break up 109-year old company to focus on cloud growth
- IBM plans to spin off infrastructure services as a separate $19B business.
- @NaomiEide: “Once split, IBM expects the new company to earn $19 billion in annual revenue, with IBM bringing in $59 billion in annual revenue. The new company is expected to have 90,000 employees; In 2019, IBM had more than 350,000 employees worldwide.”
Relevant to your Interests
- See #sdt-topics-back for link for more.
- Chef leaves a bad taste: Staff cut in 'horrid, bleak' week after Progress swallows DevOps darling for $220m.
- Sent stickers to Anton in Sweden
- Sent to stickers to Kari in Minnesota
- Robert sent us the Spell Checker algorithm discussed in episode 260
- Jordy sent Brandon some fun stickers.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitch, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.