This week we offer hot takes on a whole bunch of topics including: COBOL, Unikernels, AWS Bottlerocket, Zoom, Slack, Circle CI, Marketplaces and IBM.
Relevant to your interests
- Unikernels are unfit for production
- Knative Crowds out Other Serverless Software (and Other CNCF Survey Takeaways)
- Bottlerocket: a special-purpose container operating system
- Slack, Teams and Conferencing
- Slack is working on integrating with rival Microsoft Teams for calls, says CEO Stewart Butterfield
- DHH is not happy with Zoom
- Maybe we shouldn’t use Zoom after all
- Microsoft’s Skype struggles have created a Zoom moment
- Zoom responds with a Blog Post
- Google Has Banned Zoom Software From Employees' Computers, Citing Security Vulnerabilities
- Zoom isn’t Malware.
- New IBM CEO Arvind Krishna says hybrid cloud will be bigger than mainframes, services, middleware
- IBM Taps Former Bank of America CTO to Oversee Cloud Business
- My first day as CEO - our journey together
- RHEL pusher Paul Cormier appointed CEO to lead Red Hat into the IBM era
- Email to associates from Red Hat president and CEO, Paul Cormier
- The a16z Marketplace 100 - Andreessen Horowitz
- Simplified global game management: Introducing Game Servers
- Forrester’s Surprising Discovery About Robotic Process Automation
- Next frontier in Microsoft, Google, Amazon cloud battle is over a world without code
- Booz Allen analyzed 200+ Russian hacking operations to better understand their tactics
- Update #2 on Microsoft cloud services continuity
- The Next Chapter of Meetup
- SoftBank May Not Buy $3 Billion in WeWork Shares
- Portland technology companies lay off dozens amid coronavirus outbreak
- OneWeb goes bankrupt, lays off staff, will sell satellite-broadband business
- HashiCorp Joins the CNCF
- Welcoming 3D Spatial Mapping Leader 6D.ai to Niantic: Accelerating Real-World AR Innovation - Niantic
- MongoDB’s field-level encryption protects private data—even from DBAs
- Medtronic Shares Ventilation Design Specifications to Accelerate Efforts to Increase Global Ventilator Production
- Microsoft announces agreement to acquire Affirmed Networks to deliver new opportunities for a global 5G ecosystem
- Founded by Ex-Googlers, Tailscale Launches to Secure and Simplify Remote Network Access With $3M
- Kpt: Packaging up your Kubernetes configuration with git and YAML since 2014
- Why Covid-19 has resulted in New Jersey desperately needing COBOL programmers
- Don’t Mute, Get a Better Headset
- Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic
- Lobsters given seats on coronavirus rescue flights...
- 50,000 Microsoft employees are currently replying all to a company-wide email.
- My boss turned herself into a potato on our Microsoft teams meeting
- HP TouchPad History: A Fire Sale 49 Days After Release
- Trump order encourages US to mine the moon
- CNCF Puzzle
Sign up at: https://www.mongodb.com/cloud/atlas/register. After you create your account enter code ATLASSDT in the payments & billing section and get $200 in free credits.
Attend MongoDB’s virtual event MongoDB.Live on June 9-10, 2020
Conferences, Videos et. al.
- Chef Tools & Terraform: Better Together from Matt Ray
- Michael Coté - Intro - Spring Live
- Mykel Alvis is speaking at All Day DevOps Virtual Conference on April 17, 2020
- ChefConf 2020 June 2, 2020 All Digital.
- MongoDB’s virtual event MongoDB.Live on June 9-10, 2020
- DevOpsDays Minneapolis, August 4 - 5, 2020 use code SDT for 10% off registration.
- THAT Conference August 3 - 6 in Wisconsin Dells®.
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to email@example.com and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.