GItHub got bought so we breakdown what it all means for devs and open source. Matt Ray offers expert tips on relocating your family aboard as Coté prepares to move to Amsterdam. Finally, we announced the first live in person Software Defined Talk meetup in July somewhere in Austin. Don’t miss it.
GitHub got bought
- Price: $7.5bn in stock. Getting Microsoft stock now is probably good, should have good growth over next 3 to five years (the golden handcuff period, etc.).
- See the overview deck from Microsoft.
- Very qualitative, not much (or any) business case numbers stuff.
- Will “operate independently,” Microsoft’s Nat Friedman to be CEO of GitHub, reporting up to Scott Guthrie.
- Does this imply Microsoft will be moving OSS stuff to the GitHub business?
- How does this fit with TFS, whatever “Sourcesafe” is now? Coté has no idea about the current state of that business, esp. w/r/t to git. Slides say there’s be the usual seamless integration in VisualStudio, also some marketplace thing additions (presumably, pull in GitHub repos).
- Don’t forget the private cloud version of GitHub, plus using it for cloud native/DevOps config storage and release management stuff.
- Microsoft’s blog post, GitHub’s blog post.
- Google Was Bidding Against Microsoft For GitHub, Report Says | CRN Mobile # Kubernetes Korner
- Four years after release of Kubernetes 1.0, it has come a long way
- Enterprise hits and misses - AI hits the curve, SAP subverts the two-speed enterprise # This episode brought to you by: Datadog!
This week Datadog also wants you to know about their upcoming conference Dash, in NYC on July 11th-12th. You can register to attend at https://www.dashcon.io/sdt use the discount code DASHSDT and save 20%.
DevOpsDays MINNEAPOLIS - JULY 12-13, 2018
Get a 20% discount for one of the best DevOpsDays on the planet, DevOpsDays Minneapolis. It's July 12th to 13th, and you can bet it'll be worth your time. If you're new to DevOps you'll get an idea of what it is, how it's practices, and how to get started. If you're an old pro, you'll dive down into topics and catch-up with all the other old hands. Code: SDT2018.
Conferences, et. al.
- June 28th and 29th, 2018 - Coté at DevOpsDays Amsterdam - come get a sticker!
- Also at some World Cup things in Cologne and Munich, email if you’re a VP type and interested.
- Sep 24th to 27th - SpringOne Platform, in DC/Maryland (crabs!) get $200 off registration with the code S1P200_Cote. Also, check out the Spring One Tour - coming to a city near you!
The Software Defined Talk Meetup
- Would you come to a three hour SDT event in July in Austin, TX? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and he will add you to the invite.
SDT news & hype
- Check out Software Defined Interviews, our new podcast. Pretty self-descriptive, plus the #exegesis podcast we’ve been doing, all in one, for free.
- Join us in Slack.
- Buy some t-shirts! DISCOUNT CODE: SDTFSG (20% off)
- Send your name and address to email@example.com and we will send you a sticker. If you run into Matt he’ll give you one too!
- Brandon: New York Times Crossword App
- Matt: Killing Eve
- Coté: that Singaporian soup mix (Song Fa bak kut teh). What are “permitted food enhancer (E621),” though?
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker, with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial today!