Calling in hot from New Braunfels Texas, we got a country mile’s worth of topics this week: we have container services from Microsoft, a lengthy discussion of how enterprise software companies organize their global sales regions, the possible emergence of a new private cloud meme, and rumors that BMC is no longer in acquiring CA.
Also, be sure to check out this week’s white paper analysis for patrons, on IoT.
Global expansion tips and tricks
- Open source as the scouts.
Microsoft laying off 19,000 people
- Who’s hirin’?
Microsoft Container Service
TechCrunch notices private cloud
- Vendors have begun offering a variety of approaches that give the feel of the public cloud, but inside the comfort zone of a customer’s data center.
- Oracle cited rather large customers like AT&T and Bank of America using the Cloud at Customer product.
- Oracle cloud news picking up.
That Antitrust Meme in Tech
- As you know, I’m not a lawyer
- How would it make sense? What’s the justification?
- “Google and Facebook Account For Nearly All Growth in Digital Ads.”
- Coté looking down the barrel of getting taxed at way high?
BMC not buying CA
Flash, he gone
BONUS LINKS! Not covered in show.
GoDaddy dumps OpenStack cloud
HEB was an Amazon Option?
Containers are Linux
- “DevOps is more suitable for containerisation compared to other traditional approaches”
- Operating system vendors have something to sell you say?
A History of Docker/Linux Containers
- Red Hat maintainer breaking down the short but convoluted history of containers. ## Slack Getting Paid
- Slack is raising another $500 million — and has attracted interest from a range of big buyers like Amazon # Meta, follow-up, etc.
- Patreon - like anyone who starts these things, I have no idea WTF it is, if it’s a good idea, or if I should be ashamed. Need some product/market fit.
- Check out the Software Defined Talk Members Only White-Paper Exiguous podcast over there.
- Join us all in the SDT Slack.
- Get $50 off Casper mattresses with the code: horraymattray
- NEW DISCOUNT! DevOpsDays Nashville, $25 off with the code 2017NashDevOpsDays - Coté will be keynoting.
- Coté speaking at DevOps Riga and DevOps Kansas City.
- Coté also speaking at Austin OpenStack Meetup, August 17th, 207.
- The Register’s conference, Continuous Lifecycle, in London (May 2018) has it’s CFP open, closed October 20th - submit something!
- SpringOne Platform registration open, Dec 4th to 5th. Use the code S1P200_Cote for $200 off registration.
- Matt’s on the Road!
- Brandon: Netflix’s Ozark.
- Matt Ray: Mr. Robot.
- Coté: BaseIQ microSD adaptor. Ikea STUNSIG World t-shirt. Also: not giving a shit.
DevOpsDays Nashville is October 17th and 18th. Coté will be keynoting. $25 off with the code 2017NashDevOpsDays.
DevOpsDays Kansas City 2017 is Sep 21st and 22nd this year. Coté will be speaking, and many other great speakers. Get a special discount when register with the code SDT2017.
Get a comfortable, well priced Internet mattress, delivered right to your door. Coté has two. And get $50 off your order with the code hooraymattray.
Come check the success stories in cloud-native at SpringOne Platform. Full of the suits and the nerds going over how they've improved their organization's approach to software. Use the code S1P200_Cote to get $200 off registration!