Without advertising, there would be no capitalism, and, if you’re not constantly afraid of the DoJ knocking at your door, you’re probably doing it wrong. Those are two whacky theories about advertising and antitrust, at least. With Matt Ray on vacation, Brandon and Coté talk about The Attention Merchants and the recent Google EU antitrust ruling. We also discuss several other books, and how to talk to non-tech people at parties. Surprisingly, no container talk!
- This episode is sponsored by Casper, who’s looking for some good senior SREs. If you’re into building out and managing infrastructure that keeps code running and makes sure you can sleep soundly at night, check out the job listing, apply, and be sure to mention that you heard about it on Software Defined Talk. According to Glassdoor reviews, it’s a damn fine place to work. You can also just email email@example.com and browse all their openings at casper.com/jobs.
- DevOpsDays Minneapolis, July 25 to 26th: get 20% off registration with the code SDT (Thanks, Bridget!).
- SpringOne Platform registration open, Dec 4th to 5th. Use the code S1P200_Cote for $200 off registration.
- SpringDays - Atlanta (July 18th to 19th)
- The Drunk & Retired Reboot, Charles and Coté return...every two weeks.
- Attention Merchants, Chaos Monkeys.
- Slate Monet podcast, #163.