There’s always good food in the enterprise sales meeting racket: gourmet pimento cheese, sushi and sake, and booze. Also, the Gartner magic quadrant for IaaS in out, which we discuss. With layoffs at Cisco we look at the broader numbers around layoffs in the tech sector. Before recommendations we briefly talk about Walmart buying Jet.
(Sorry the audio quality is so bad.)
- On August 31st, come hear about launching your cloud strategy and why multi-cloud matters with myself, an analyst, and an actual enterprise user of all this stuff. Register and watch it for free!
- I have a discount code for Operability.IO, September 19th and 20th in London. I hear good things about this conference; check out their talks from last year. It has a good list of speakers, including our very own Casey West. You can 10% off registration if you use the code COTEMEMOOIO16. Check out https://cote.io/promos/ for more - free books, free cloud time, etc.
- Interested in speeding your software's cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- See cote.io/promos for a full list of all the deals "mid-roll" stuff currently going on.
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
Gartner IaaS MQ is Out.
- Check out the free re-print, from Amazon I believe.
- I collected these notes in it's own blog post, check it out.
Layoffs at Cisco
- Several thousand get pink slips, more
- "I do not think that they are going to be done after this."
- "We are committed to making the necessary decisions to drive our future growth"
- The performance didn't impress investors as Cisco's stock shed 42 cents to $30.30 in extended trading after the numbers came out. The decline may have been driven by disappointment that Cisco's job cuts weren't nearly as deep as published reports had speculated they would be.
- But it’s not just Cisco.
- Be sure to read The Halo Effect.
Walmart buys Jet
- Brandon: PIN/Kings podcast.
- Matt: Flying in Australian is awesome, civilized even; the curved screen of the Samsung SAMSUNG C27F390F 1800R Curved 27 inch LED Free Sync Full HD 1920x1080 VA panel HDMI D-Sub Monitor, Australian edition, but Yankee plugs are cool too.
- Coté: James Governor on Pivotal and SpringOne Platform; Irie's Island Food in Port Aransas.