“What choice do we have?”
At the end of the year, we answer listener questions. From middle-names, to athletes, to advice to startups. Also, we talk open source in 2020 predictions, that NYTimes story on Amazon, and Twinkies.
- As they say “a dot w dot s.”
- Twinkies are better after the Apocalypse
- Does he know something we don’t know?
- They could have been the paper of record on “A.M.I.”
- Judgemental open source.
- The Three C’s.
- “CTO Edge.”
- CTOs don’t go to DevOps Days
- I try to show up to most conferences I’m speaking at.
- “I love the way they’re kicking that ball.”
- They didn’t consider “Motel 6” for Matt’s middle name.
- It’s safe to watch The Watchmen.
Relevant to your interests
- Amazon is Launching a Home Internet Service - Here is Everything You Need to Know About It.
- 8 of the worst open source innovations of the decade.
- Russian police raid NGINX Moscow office.
- Larry Ellison sets the Catz among the pigeons: Safra officially sole Oracle CEO.
- Google makes moving data to its cloud easier.
- Atlassian launches new serverless cloud development platform.
- Costco Earnings Beat But Revenue Falls Short; Costco Stock Falls Late.
- AWS Outposts by the numbers.
- Prime Leverage: How Amazon Wields Power in the Technology World.
- What are your thoughts on the big data industry and technologies like Spark? from Jay via Slack
2. ~~As industry vets, what advice do you have for the new school IAM/monitoring startups? (other than: integrate with AD for ent clients) from Ryan via Slack
- What is the best conference swag you've ever given away or received? My personal best was a power brick that could also charge up apple's airpods for some reason. from Tim from Slack
What tech conferences are worth going to that we haven't heard of? Are there interesting things that are smaller scale than the reinvents / dreamforce / et al, that provide great information and attract a really interesting set of speakers?from Tim from Slack Why do you think we don’t see more celebrity athletes featured in tech advertisements? Granted I knew the writing was on the wall at one company I was at when we hired Mike Tyson for our CES booth, but uh why hasn’t that worked out yet? from Ryan from Slack~~~~ 1. Tangentially: https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1206589810439274496
- Is a startup aspiring to be acquired by a foundation like the CNCF a legit business model? from Ryan from Slack
- For the expats: what's your favorite and least favorite thing(s) about your new regions? from Nathan from Slack
What would you say ya do here? from Noe via Slack Matt, what is your middle name? from Jordy via Slack
Arrested DevOps Podcast:
What are you waiting for you can subscribe today by searching for “Arrested DevOps” in you favorite podcast app or by visiting https://www.arresteddevops.com/.
Conferences, et. al.
- NO-SSH-JJ wants you go to DeliveryConf in Seattle on Jan 21st & 22nd, Use promo code: SDT10 to get 10% off. JJ wants you to read about Delivery Conf Format too.
- June 1-4: ChefConf 2020
- Jordi wants you to go to GitLab Commit Jan. 14th
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Send your postal address to email@example.com and we will send you free laptop stickers!
- Follow us on Twitter, Instagram or LinkedIn
- Listen to the Software Defined Interviews Podcast. Check out the back catalog.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Use the code SDT to get $20 off Coté’s book, Digital WTF, so $5 total.