GDPR, Observability, & more on the mystery of serverless, still with half-assed research
Episode 144 · August 17th, 2018 · 1 hr 5 mins
About this Episode
“That was the problem: I was always Tech Matt.”
The title says it all.
Sponsored by Datadog
This episode is sponsored by Datadog and this week they Datadog wants you to know about Trace Search & Analytics.
Trace Search & Analytics allows you to explore, graph, and correlate application performance data using high-cardinality attributes. You can search and filter request traces using key business and application attributes, such as user IDs, host names, or product SKUs, so you can quickly pinpoint where performance issues are originating and who's being affected. Tight integration with data from logs and infrastructure metrics also lets you correlate these specific trace events to the performance of the underlying infrastructure so you can resolve the problem quickly.
Sign up for a free trial today at https://www.datadog.com/softwaredefinedtalk.
Relevant to your interests
- Observations on Observability
- This GDPR madness has to stop, son!
- AWS Announces General Availability of Amazon Aurora Serverless
- State of the cloud: Amazon Web Services is bigger than its other four major competitors, combined
- AWS Serverless Application Repository
- Taking Tesla Private
- CNCF Serverless Whitepaper v1.0 - not too bad so far.
- Kelsey Hightower on Serverless… but wait…. Isn’t this just PaaS?
- A developer’s view of getting up and running with kubernetes.
- “Progressive delivery,” see also James Governor on the term.
- It’s raining tacos
- AWS icon quiz
- To fight the scourge of open offices, ROOM sells rooms
- SoftBank May Invest up to $750 Million in Robotic Pizza Startup Zume
- “I took the cool out of Cool Rick.”
Conferences, et. al.
- Sep 24th to 27th - SpringOne Platform, in DC/Maryland (crabs!) get $200 off registration with the code S1P200_Cote. Also, check out the Spring One Tour - coming to a city near you!
- DevOps Talks Sydney August 27-28 - John Willis, Nathen Harvey!
- DevOpsDays Berlin, September 12th to 13th.
- DevOpsDays Paris, October 16th.
- Cloud Expo Asia October 10-11.
- DevOps Days Singapore October 11-12.
- DevOps Days Newcastle October 24-25.
- DevOps Days Wellington November 5-6.
- Devoxx Belgium, Antwerp, November 12th to 16th.
- SpringOne Tour - all over the earth!
- Andy from Netflix send me a LinkedIn request and got a sticker
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Subscribe to Software Defined Interviews Podcast
- Buy some t-shirts! DISCOUNT CODE: SDTFSG (40% off)
- Send your name and address to email@example.com and we will send you a sticker.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- Brandon: Westworld.
- Matt: Dune fandom. As heard on Song Exploder: Jon Hopkins Singularity. The Red Atlas.
- Coté: Hemingway app. Slate Podcast Plus. PodCTL on registries.
Datadog Free Trial
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker, with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial today!