"Harness that peer pressure for good”
This week we cover all the important announcements from the Google Next conference including: GKE On-Prem, Knative and “serverless containers.” Plus, an important parenting discussion on tying shoes.
Relevant to your interests
- Google Next
- GKE On-Prem | Google Cloud
- Google answers 'Why Google Cloud?' with services and spectacle
- Knative Enables Portable Serverless Platforms on Kubernetes, for Any Cloud
- IBM, Google Give Birth to Knative Serverless Cloud Project
- Google’s Cloud Functions serverless platform is now generally available
- Google announces Cloud Build, its new continuous integration/continuous delivery platform
- Google CEO confirms Target as big cloud customer, continuing retail moves toward AWS competitors
- Portable Cloud Programming with Go Cloud (Supports AWS and GCP)
- Matt’s skeptical
- Bonkers Azure bookings give Microsoft a record-breaking $110bn year
- Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Twitter unite to simplify data transfers
- IBM stock rises after earnings beat
- SolarWinds | SolarWinds Acquires Trusted Metrics
- Cisco, networking stocks drop on a report Amazon Web Services is considering selling network devices
- Exclusive: Apple to deploy 1Password to all 123,000 employees, acquisition talks underway
- Amazon Web Services crosses the $6 billion mark in quarterly revenue, up 49 percent
Sponsored by Datadog
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial at www.datadog.com/sdt
This week DataDog is pleased to announce that Datadog APM has officially released support for monitoring Node.js applications, which joins our existing support for Java, Ruby, Python and Go. Read their announcement blog.
Conferences, et. al.
- Sep 24th to 27th - SpringOne Platform, in DC/Maryland (crabs!) get $200 off registration with the code S1P200_Cote. Also, check out the Spring One Tour - coming to a city near you!
SDT news & hype
- Join us in Slack.
- Buy some t-shirts! DISCOUNT CODE: SDTFSG (40% off)
- Send your name and address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a sticker.
- Brandon built the Quick Concall iPhone App and he wants you to buy it for $0.99.
- The Sinner on Netflix
- Home Depot text message shortcut: Text the this message “121 hammer” to 24564 and you will get a link to the a map of the store showing the section for hammers. Replace "121” with the store number you are in and replace “hammer” with the item you are searching for to make new queries. You will likely have to ask a Home Depot Associate what the store number is or find it online. This is an internal tool used by Home Depot Associates to find stuff when customers ask them.
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker, with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial today!