Amazon has narrowed down it’s search for a second headquarters to 20 cities. Is the promise of 50,000 jobs and $38bn shot into the local economy worth it? We don’t really know, of course, but we talk through some issues to consider and strategy frameworks for thinking through the question. Plus, we talk about bi-modal IT as relates to dad jeans, metaphorically speaking.
- The Problem With Courting Amazon, The Atlantic.
- Amazon HQ2 blamed for high real-estate, rent, and traffic in Seattle.
- Why your city should avoid Amazon HQ2.
- Seattle’s complaints about Amazon HQ1.
- The case against Amazon HQ2 for Austin.
- Richard Florida predicts Amazon HQ2 location.
- An argument against Amazon HQ2 tax breaks, sort of.
Tech ethics elsewhere
- Facebook hoopla - “Trump 2.0” vs. “Obama 2.0.”
- Facebook grows a conscience, admits it corroded democracy.
- iPhone Addiction.
- “Owing” something to open source.
- Work-place culture, diversity.
- New Economy, Meet Old Continent
- Digital publishers want platforms to pay up
- The Fall of Travis Kalanick Was a Lot Weirder and Darker Than You Thought
- 'Need More Time'? Guideposts For Tech Founders Going To Market When No Market
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has a pretty good idea of quarterly earnings 3 years in advance
Conferences, et. al.
- Coté talking at DevOpsDays Charlotte, Feb 22nd to 23rd.
- May 15th to 18th, 2018 - Coté talking EA at Continuous Lifecycle London.
SDT news & hype
- Keep up with the weekly newsletter. For example, a few issues back Coté went over some book recommendations based on what he read in 2017.
- Join us in Slack, subscribe the newsletter, and pay-up for our members only podcast.
- Buy some t-shirts!
- Stickers - write us in the contact form or email us, send name and address mailing address.
This episode is sponsored by Datadog, a monitoring platform for cloud-scale infrastructure and applications. Built by engineers, for engineers, Datadog provides visibility into more than 200 technologies, including AWS, Chef, and Docker, with built-in metric dashboards and automated alerts. With end-to-end request tracing, Datadog provides visibility into your applications and their underlying infrastructure—all in one place. Sign up for a free trial today!