AI is no longer limited by the garbage that is UNIX
About This Episode
AWS plods on with new capabilities, this time with an AI and enterprise app migration focus, plus, AI: is it actually a thing? We also discuss Microsoft acquiring Cycle Computing and how HPC fits into cloud, also what exactly HPC is and how you measure vibrations passing through a human torso. But most importantly, we’re joined by Andrew Clay Shafer in this episode, standing in for Brandon.
Removing rebel-slaver memorials
You like white papers? We got white papers
- Four new Pivotal white papers: CI/CD, microservices, PCI (wake up! wake up!), and The Scary Clam (BOSH).
- We discuss them with the co-author of all of them on this week’s Pivotal Conversations.
- Also, check out the Members only podcast if you like white papers, which you probably do, because you’re listening to this bullshit.
Amazon Summit NYC
- There was some Amazon event this week. Anything happen?
- Machine learning, and such. Deep dive blog post.
- Interview with Amazon exec, Matt Wood.
- AI Winter.
- Also, on various industry CEOs strategamizing around Amazon.
- “Alexa, what’s ‘anti-trust’?”
Building out Azure HPC
- Microsoft acquiring Cycle Computing.
- A market ready for some cash, both for HPC and analytics: “[a]ccording to 451 Research’s Voice of the Enterprise Cloud Transformation survey, 21% of data and analytics workloads will move to public clouds in the next two years”
- What about the GreenButton acquisition in 2014? Peep the long piece on that from 2014.
- Excellent chart showing migrating COTS to SaaS, etc.
BONUS LINKS! Not covered in show
Docker raising more cash-money, container land items
- Lizette Chapman & Eric Newcomer, Bloomberg: “HPC is about three to five years behind enterprise computing when it comes to new technology adoption – the applications are generally more sophisticated, and engineers are conservative…. Business software company Docker Inc. is raising fresh funds, valuing the company at $1.3 billion, according to people familiar with the matter.”
- Also, check out this ADP using Docker case, moderated by Alex Williams, pretty good: 1,000 containers in Nov 2016 to 3,771 in April 2017 (I think these were across dev and prod).
- MIPS rule everything around me.
Docker Enterprise feature matrix:
Also, putting Oracle in a container, over there in European banking.
Hold my beer platforms - It’s easy, just build out all the platform things you need yourself. Yaml all the things! Also, Bash, puppet, terraform, go for log draining(!) and more!
Bare-metal, what’s the deal?
- Oracle got it.
“You get my deck? Let me check Outlook. Who’s doing meeting notes in Word?”
Cloud’s cool, but PowerPoint is the shit: “$25.4 billion in revenue in Microsoft’s 2017 fiscal year, an increase of 7 percent from the previous year”
Hot Dog Watch
Ever vigilant, we’re keeping an eye on the future.
See the underside of The Hot Dog.
Meta, follow-up, etc.
- Patreon - like anyone who starts these things, I have no idea WTF it is, if it’s a good idea, or if I should be ashamed. Need some product/market fit.
- Check out the Software Defined Talk Members Only White-Paper Exiguous podcast over there.
- Join us all in the SDT Slack.
- Get $50 off Casper mattresses with the code: horraymattray
- NEW DISCOUNT! DevOpsDays Nashville, $25 off with the code 2017NashDevOpsDays - Coté will be keynoting - October 17th and 18th, 2017.
- NEW DISCOUNT! DevOpsDays Kansas City, September 21st and 22nd.
- Use the code SDT2017 when you register.
- PLUS we have one free ticket to give away. So, we need to figure out how to do that.
- Coté speaking at DevOps Riga, also will be at DevOpsDays London and Devoxx Belgium.
- Coté also speaking at Austin OpenStack Meetup, August 17th, 2017. See slides.
- The Register’s conference, Continuous Lifecycle, in London (May 2018) has it’s CFP open, closed October 20th - submit something!
- SpringOne Platform registration open, Dec 4th to 5th. Use the code S1P200_Cote for $200 off registration.
- Matt’s on the Road!
- August 22nd - Sydney Cloud Native Meetup
- August 23rd - AWS Sydney North User Group
- August 30th - AWS Australian Public Sector Summit
- September 12 - Perth MS Cloud Computing User Group
- September 15-16 - DevOpsDays Bangalore
- September 20 - Azure Sydney Meetup
- October 3-4 - DevOpsDays New Zealand
- October 11th - Brisbane Azure User Group
- Andrew will be at DevOpsDays Singapore, and a few other places. He doesn’t want to make platinum. # Recommendations
- Andrew: SLOs, three chapters from the Google SRE book.
- Matt Ray:
- Coté: bacon grease in a mug by the stove, that’s how we was livin’. Speaking of saving bacon grease: Spyderco ParaMilitary 2 G-10 Plain Edge Knife; works well for camping; I got a good deal. WOCStock - mix up them pasty white-boy slides.